Mind Your Mulch!
March 01, 2013
Mulch. What exactly is it?
Mulch is defined as any material applied to the soil surface for protection or improvement of the area covered.
What is Mulch used for?
- Mulch prevents weeds from growing.
- Mulch will maintain an even temperature in the soil. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Mulch protects the soil from soil erosion.
- Mulch will conserve moisture. (That's right, "moisture", as in water!)
- Mulch provides a clean surface for accessing the garden.
- Mulch can make a garden look neat and finished
What are the different types of mulches?
There are two basic types of mulch are Organic and Inorganic:
- Organic mulch is any mulch made of natural occurring matter from the Earth. Organic mulch decomposes over time. Types of organic mulch include: grass clippings, leaves, pine needles, bark, wood chips, and many more.
- Inorganic mulch might consist of any of the following: Crushed gravel, granite and crushed granite, river rock, small stones & pebbles,crushed lava rock, decorative and colored stones, crushed brick and landscaper's fabric.